Fountain Valley High School

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle

Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment Vs. Concurrent Enrollment - What's the Difference? 



Dual Enrollment: Coming Soon


GWC will have select classes at HBUHSD schools in person.


Dual Enrollment Is an agreed partnership between the high school and college where the student will earn both high school and college credit.


HBUHSD currently only has an agreed partnership with selected classes at Golden West College (GWC) The agreed classes will be on both the FVHS transcript and community college transcript.


Concurrent Enrollment:


HBUHSD students can continue to take regular GWC classes online or on the college campus and earn high school and college credit for free.


Note: OCC, IVC, etc. do not have partnerships with the HBUHSD, If a student chooses to take a class at OCC, students will earn college credit only.   

How do I Sign Up for Spring 23' Concurrent Enrollment?
Please note that since these classes are not held in the bell schedule, HBUHSD students will need to register themselves online in MyGWC to participate. Spring registration opens on November 28th! The deadline to register for spring concurrent enrollment classes is January 29th!
spring dual enrollment
Once Student's release forms have been processed they can register starting November 28th!



What Courses are Approved for Concurrent Enrollment?



Students will need approval from our Assistant Principal of Guidance Mrs. Kloppenburg in order to register for courses!





How many credits will students earn?  


With the exception of health, students will earn 10 credits (1 year) on the high school transcript. Students will earn 5 credits for health (1 semester).  

Will these classes be in person or virtual?


In person & Virtual

Which GWC US History Class is equivalent to FVHS US History?


 Hist G175

Will PSCI G180 American Government Fulfill the FVHS Gov Class? What class does the student to pair with Economics?


Yes, it will. However, please keep in mind in a traditional high school schedule Government is paired with Economics. Each are a semester long. If a student takes that GWC class, he/she will still need to take Economics to fulfill graduation requirements. Students can choose to be a student aid/peer tutor during the semester he/she is not taking Economics.

Are there pre-reqs for Math and Science?

Bio: There are no prerequisites for Biology

Chem: Students should complete Biology and Algebra 1

Stats: Completion of Alg2Trig 

Precalc: Completion of Alg2Trig

Calc: Completion of Precalc

Are these courses A-G approved to meet UC/CSU eligibility requirements?



How many classes can I take?


Students are limited to 11 units in the Fall & Spring and 8 units in the Summer. 


Can I drop a GWC Dual Enrollment Class?

Yes. Please follow the GWC protocol to drop the class. Students can drop their course through the MyGWC site. 


If I don't pass the GWC Dual Enrollment Class will the “D/F” grade be recorded on my FVHS Transcript?


Yes. Please follow the GWC drop protocol before the deadline to drop a course. The drop deadline is usually 1 week after the start date of the summer course.